I’m officially a food snob. I now buy all of my meat from the butchers…
Granted, it can be a little more expensive then purchasing the equivalent amounts from the supermarket, but knowing that the animal welfare standards are typically higher and that the meat itself is of better quality is worth a few extra pounds. If you’re conscious of the cost, then simply buy less and do your purse and body a favour in the process.
And what will you get from this added investment? Tastier food of course. A greater sense of moral well-being, and if you go in to Chadwicks early enough on a Saturday morning you can sample from the platter of cooked sausages on display… and sample I do.
Shop regularly and you can also be the proud owner of a Chadwick’s loyalty card. Get a stamp every time you visit and on your sixth visit receive 10% off your shop – I was even advised by the lovely assistant to use this wisely and now save this to put towards a hefty joint or some sirloin steaks.
A handy tip – If you’re buying as part of a weekly shop and don’t plan to eat immediately, you can ask for the meat to be vacuum packed which means it will last for 5 or so days.
The handsome young butcher isn’t an eye sore either 🙂
Chadwick’s price list:
- Oyster chicken legs, skin on, bone in (free range, organic), £6.99/kg – equates to £7 for 4 legs (1kg)
- Chicken thighs, skin on, bone in (free range, organic), £6.99/kg – equates to £3.20 for 4 thighs (0.45kg)
- Skinless chicken fillet (free range, organic), £9.99/kq – equates to £2 per fillet
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (free range, organic), £8.99/kg – equates to £8 for 8 thighs
- Whole chicken (British, free range), medium, £9.25
- French duck breasts, £19.99/kq – equates to £8.40 for 2
- Diced lamb shoulder (British, free range, organic), £14.99/kg – equates to £9.20 for 600g
- Lamb shanks (free range), £10.99/kg – equates to £20 for 4 shanks
- Lamb & rosemary sausage (British, free range, organic), £10.99/kg – equates to £4.45 for 6 sausages
- Lamb shoulder – £25 for 2kg
- Italian pancetta, £1.69/100g – equates to £2 for 10 skinny slices
- British rolled belly of pork, (free range), £10.99/kg – equates to £2.20 for 200g
- Londoner sausages (free range, organic), £8.99/kg – equates to £3.80 for 6
- Cumberland sausages (free range, organic), £8.99/kg – equates to £3.80 for 6
- Pork steaks (free range, organic), £12.99/kg – equates to £8.96 for 2 decent sized chops
- Aged sirloin steak (cut from 100% pure bred Angus beef), £39.99/kg – equates to £10 per steak (0.25kg)
- British lean course 100% minced beef, (free range, organic), £7.25/kq – equates to £3 for 400g
- British beef brisket cut from rare breed beef, £10.99/kg – equates to £7.90 for 7.2kg
- Pale ale – £2.99 a bottle