2 portions. Maximum cost: £3.70,
Skill level: Super easy,
Total cooking time: 15 minutes,
- Prep time: 5 to 10 minutes,
- Cooking time: 5 minutes,
Equipment used: 1 frying pan, toaster or grill,
Add a little olive oil to a frying pan, medium heat.
Add diced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the sliced mushrooms and thyme leaves and continue cooking. (I never wash mushrooms as they absorb too much water, which is then released when cooking. Instead, use your fingers or kitchen towel to rub off any dirt – a little dirt left on the mushrooms wont kill you)
After another minute or so, add several small blobs of butter and cook for another couple of minutes until the mushrooms have decreased in size and released most of their juices.
Season well with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon of mustard and 2 big tablespoons of creme fraiche.
Serve on toasted, buttered sourdough.
Bish, bash, bosh.
- 1 punnet of chestnut mushrooms (£1)
- sourdough toast (£1.50 from my local bakers)
- a small bunch of thyme (70p for a packet)
- 2 garlic cloves (50p for a bulb)
- 1 teaspoon of English mustard
- 3 big tablespoons of creme fraiche (50p for a small tub)
View other breakfast recipes